...and remember what it was like reading Charlotte's Web back in the fourth grade.
I was the quintessal bookworm in grade school - I loved books and took comfort in reading. It was and still is my escape from the rest of this freaky world. There are a few back from grade school that I still remember; I can't quote lines anymore but I have bits of these books in my head, like memories or old faded photographs stored in my childhood albums. There were many we had to read for class and do extended assignments on, which is probably why I remember them so well - Where the Red Fern Grows, Island of the Blue Dolphins, Wrinkle in Time (I never realised I had already started reading fantasy/science fiction at the age of 10 until I was already 20), Bridge to Terabithia, Tuck Everlasting - classics that have withstood the test of (20 years) time. I think that's amazing.
Charlotte's Web was one of those books that stuck in my head, and stuck a lot harder than the others. I can't pinpoint why but it may be because of all the talking animals - I've always been more partial to listening to animals talk rather than people. So when I heard they were making a movie of it, I was thrilled - I thought it would transfer wonderfully on screen with all the crazy film technology we have now (and this is odd because book-movies always make me squirm).
Anyway, it's out in local theatres and I can't wait to see it.
If you're wondering, the story takes place mostly on a farm and involves a spider, a runty pig and a lot of other barnyard animals. And also possibly an axe. It's not a happy book but it's got a lot of sunshine and it's a good one, and that counts for everything. I don't know how the movie goes yet, but if you're for looking for something to remind you of being a kid (or for your kids even :P) this a great pick up.


1 comment:
Goshhh..twins....twins...hahahahhahaha
Post a Comment